Now is the time to invest in a security system for your business if you haven’t already. In 2017, one third of all burglaries were committed on businesses, according to the FBI. Security is important for all businesses. However, some businesses are more appealing to burglars than others. For example, a jewelry store will have much more valuable product than a grocery store. As a result, to keep their inventory safe, jewelry stores may need to have additional security.
What Qualities Attract Burglars?
Burglars are looking for specific characteristics when they are choosing a target. Here is a list of qualities burglars look for in potential targets:
- Businesses that are open late – Gas stations and convenience stores, bars, and late-night restaurants are prime targets for burglars because only a few employees might be on staff and there are less people around late at night
- Businesses that have a good amount of cash – Pawn stores and banks are good targets for burglars because a lot of cash is typically on hand
- Businesses that have known valuables – Jewelry stores, pharmacies, liquor stores, and electronic stores are all good targets for burglars because they sell valuable items. If a criminal breaks in, they will be able to grab as many items as possible in a short amount of time as they can
How Can You Make Your Business More Secure?
You can prevent burglars from victimizing your business by implementing the following security solutions:
- With video surveillance, you can keep an eye on your business even when you’re not there. Install security cameras throughout the business, and you’ll be able to catch and deter criminals. You’ll want to place cameras on your building’s perimeter, especially near windows and entrances. In addition, you’ll want to consider areas inside that criminals will be drawn to like safes and cash registers.
- If an intruder tries to break into your business, a monitored alarm will alert you. An alarm will be triggered, and a signal will be se3nt to a monitoring center, which will notify you and the authorities of any incidents.
- Manage your security systems from your smartphone or computer with mobile solutions.
Keep these tips in mind so that you can make your business more secure.