It’s that time of year. The birds are chirping, and it’s finally warm outside. A lot of people like to do spring cleaning around this time. Before you can really enjoy everything this season brings, it’s good to organize things in your home and clean up where you can.
If you have a home security system, though, spring cleaning can go beyond basic organization and cleaning of your home. It can also mean performing maintenance on your security system. There are a few things you can do as you are doing your spring cleaning to ensure the security is better in your home. Here are a few tips for better indoor and outdoor security:
Indoor Security for Your Home
There are both interior and exterior things that need to be done in your home. Some of the things you need to do for better indoor security include:
- Checking window and door locks – Take a look at all your door and window locks. Are there any that seem loose? Are there any that need to be replaced? Now is a good time to tighten and replace any locks that need it. You should also clean all of your windows thoroughly. You will be safer if you are able to see better.
- Cleaning security equipment – Clean all camera lenses as well as light fixtures. You’ll be able to see clearer, and you won’t have to worry about dirt or dust getting into the security equipment and causing issues.
- Emptying any fireplaces – Get rid of any ashes in your fireplace, and call a chimney sweep to make sure your chimney is clear.
- Refreshing batteries on smoke detectors – Three out of five residential deaths caused by fire occur in homes without working smoke detectors, according to the U.S. Fire Administration.
Outdoor Security for Your Home
Once you have secured your indoors, it’s time to move to the exterior of the house. This means:
- Checking the lighting around your home – Double check the bulbs and the batteries and replace as needed.
- Ensuring the address numbers are clearly visible – This will ensure that responders are able to get to your house in case of an emergency.
- Examining all security cameras that are outside – Inspect all of the cameras outside, especially if you live in an area that gets a lot of snow or rain.These cameras could have been damaged.
- Maintaining the landscaping around your home – Trim back bushes to eliminate hiding places for intruders.
These are just a few things that you can do to both the inside and outside of your home as you are spring cleaning. Following these steps can make your home much more secure for the warmer months.